This is the Local Leader job offer. It describes the responsibilities, advantages, and questions for the to-be local leader.
The Job Description is adapted from our parent organization IxDA. In addition to the IxDA job description, we’ve added more specific participation expectations (in italic).
Leadership Team Responsibilities
● IxDA local leaders work as a team of co-leaders who share responsibility and take turns on event planning and execution.
● Work with co-leaders to program and host 6-12 design-focused events per year
● Plan events ranging from casual socials to featured- and multi-speaker events
● Personally take the lead or co-lead on organizing at least two events per year
● Support co-leaders on their event planning and attend events. A local leader cannot miss more than 3 events and 3 board meetings per year and the absences need to be notified to #board Slack channel before hand.
● Partner with and support other design organizations on their events
● Build and maintain relationships with corporate sponsors and venue providers
Depending on your board role, you may also:
● Recruit and/or coordinate volunteers for event support
● Collaborate and knowledge share with IxDA global, regional coordinators, and other chapters
● Co-manage our Facebook, Twitter, Eventbrite, and other accounts
● Budget management
● Leadership succession planning
This is a strictly a volunteer position with no monetary compensation, but it has many benefits.
● Bringing design content that interests you to the huge design community in
● Increasing your exposure and visibility as a design leader
● Being part of a supportive community of fellow IxDA Local Leaders around
● Partnering with other design orgs in the area on annual events, including
World Interaction Design Day
● Growing your network of fellow practitioners, speakers, and corporate and educational institutions
● A big discount on the annual global IxDA Interaction Week conference
● Must work close by, preferably in our city.
● Commitment to at least a one-year active involvement tenure, preferably two years
● Great written and verbal communication skills
● Passion for design and community-building
Nice to haves
● Experience with social media marketing and/or promotions
● Experience with managing a budget for a small organization